City of Washington
Department of Planning and Development
Official Rezoning Protest Petition

Page 1: Contact Information & Instructions
Submit this form to:
City Clerk
City of Washington
P.O. Box 1988
Washington, NC 27889
Contact Person:
City, State, Zip:
Telephone: Fax:

What is a rezoning protest petition?

If a rezoning protest petition is filed under the authority of North Carolina General Statute 160A-385 in opposition to a rezoning request, the City Council cannot approve the request unless it does so by a vote of three-fourths of all Council members. A simple majority can approve all other requests. To file a rezoning protest, the petition must:

  1. Be signed by the owner(s) (including both husband and wife if there is joint ownership) of twenty percent (20%) or mor of the area of the lots included in the rezoning request; or be signed by the owner(s) of property which has a boundary adjacent to or within one hundred (100) feet which represents twenty percent (20%) or more of any one side of the rezoning request; and,
  2. Include a statement of opposition on each page of signatures at the top of the petition. The statement should be simply and clearly worded.
  3. Be submitted no less than two (2) full working days before the hearing date, not including the actual day of the hearing and not including any holidays, Saturdays or Sundays, and
  4. Be delivered to the office of the City Clerk before 5:00 pm on the deadline date.

Attach signatures to this sheet on the form provided. The signature form may be duplicated if necessary.

Continue to Page 2 of the Official Rezoning Protest Petition
Return to: [Home]  [Planning & Development]  [Zoning Applications & Forms]