Arranging for Service
Applications can be completed by visiting a Customer Service Representative in the lobby of the Municipal Building, 102 E. Second Street between 8:00 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (closed holidays).
You will need the following information to establish a new service:
- Driver's License (or other identification)
- Social Security number
- Physical Address of the home or business
- Billing address of the home or business (if different from physical address)
- Telephone number for the home or business
- Copy of Lease agreement, HUD Closing statement or documents proving rights to the property
- A letter of credit from past utility company or a local co-signer (new customers)
- Federal tax identification number (businesses only)
- Change of Use permit (business only)
- Information about the nature of the business (business only)
The following fees are required to connect utilities or to transfer an account name. Payment is by cash, check or VISA or MasterCard charge or debit card.
- Electricity connection - $26.75
- Water/sewer connection - $25.00
- Inspections fee (if required) - $50.00
An inspection of the premises is required if utility service has been off for 30 days or more.
- Deposit (if required).
Deposits can be waived if the customer brings in a letter showing good credit from a past utility company or has a two-year or more existing Washington Electric Utilities customer with good credit sign a letter of guarantee.
- Service Fee Schedule adopted by City Council yearly over ride any published rates if incorrect.
Monthly charges for electric, water and sewer service are based on the type of customer, location of service and other factors. For more information about rates contact Customer Service at (252) 975-9300.
Click here for information on other local utilities