~~**Update 12.1.2020: Due to the COVID-19 virus, we are CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Check our Facebook page for daily information - direct link to page is just a few lines below this paragraph!~~
Welcome to the Grace Martin Harwell Senior Center….here are some quick links for your ease of browsing:
- December 2020-January 2021 Bi-monthly newsletter
- December 2020-January 2021 calendar changes/deletions/etc. (will post when we reopen!)
- December 2020 Calendar ONLY (will post when we reopen!)
- January 2021 Calendar ONLY (will post when we reopen!)
- Make sure to like our FACEBOOK page
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (currently closed due to COVID-19 virus)
Peterson Building, 310 West Main St., Washington, NC 27889 – use the Google Map LINK HERE to find us!
Any local seniors age 55+ are welcome to join and participate in our activities and events.
We kindly ask that ALL members enter through the main entrance which is located on the side of the building opposite the “big orange caboose”.
Please complete an application, which is available at the front desk. You can also download and print it HERE.
Then just bring it in to the center. There is NO COST to join, and the vast majority of our programs are free or very low cost.
For safety purposes, we ask that all members wear their ID badge (provided when you join) when using the Center. Also, each member MUST check-in at the kiosk (with your bar code; provided when you join) in the main lobby any time you visit the center.
Please read below for more information about programs, events, and activities. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at any time.
Call us: 252-975-9368 or
email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope to see you soon!
The mission of the Grace Martin Harwell Senior Center, as a division of the City of Washington Parks and Recreation Department, is to provide programs and activities to enhance the quality of life and promote independent living for area adults 55 and older. The Grace Martin Harwell Senior Center is a certified Senior Center of Excellence. Centers of Excellence are those that go above and beyond what typical centers provide for their senior populations. We strive to provide exemplary service to individuals 55 and older.
We provide a wide array of services and activities to meet the needs of the community. We offer a variety of on-going programs, trips, special events, and fun activities. Whether you are interested in lively exercise classes or learning a new skill, you will find that and everything in between here! Check out our monthly calendar for all of the details.
Share your talents at the Senior Center. You can lead programs and activities; serve on boards and committees; work as front desk receptionist and help plan special events. Contact the Senior Center on the opportunities that are available or click →Volunteer_Job_Descriptions to see a listing of possible available volunteer jobs.
Regular Programs Offered:
- Aerobics – get your body moving for an hour of heart beating exercise
- AHOY (chair exercise) – if you have limited mobility, this is a great exercise to start with.
- Card Games
- Hand & Foot
- Helping Hands Club
- Pamilico Senior Club
- Golden Card Ladies – re-purpose and recycle greeting cards to distribute to those in need
- Book Club (River Readers) – monthly meeting about a selected book to read and discuss
- Grand Ideas (Grandparents raising grandchildren)
- Diabetic Support Group – for anyone with diabetes or people caring for someone with the disease.
- Billiards Room – our busiest room in the facility!
- Fitness Room – full of exercise equipment, such as treadmills, bicycles, and light weights
- Media Room – read the local newspaper, check out a book from our extensive library, or put together a puzzle.
- Computer Lab – 4 computers for surfing the net, and 1 dedicated for game playing.
- Lunch and Learn Programs
- Lifelong Learning Programs
- Movies – Every 2nd Friday & Seasonal, with a small concession stand serving popcorn/soda/candy
- Fall Festival
- Christmas Party – the most attended event of the year!
- Grief Support
- Grand Ideas
- Caregiver Support
- Diabetic Support
- Blood Pressure Checks – Every Tuesday from 10-11am
- Flu Shots – as scheduled during the season
- AARP Taxes – as scheduled during the tax season (Feb-April). Call the Center for more information.
- AARP Driver’s Class
- Volunteer Training
- Information & Assistance
- Caregiver Assistance
- SHIIP – Senior Health Insurance Information Program
- Home Repair referrals
- Day Trips – baseball games, the beach, etc.
- Over Night Trips – we TRAVEL here at the GMH Senior Center! New York, Savannah, Kentucky…you name it, we might go there.
- Matter of Balance
- Chronic Disease Self Management
- Shuffle Board
- Silver Arts (painting, dance, etc.)