If the National Weather Service issues a Hurricane Warning for Beaufort County, Beaufort County Emergency Management may advise or require evacuation of occupants of mobile homes, substandard housing, low-lying areas, areas next to rivers or creeks (including drainage ditches) and flood plains.
Emergency Management and the Beaufort County Chapter of the American Red Cross will open emergency shelters at any or all of the following sites.
- Northside High School, Pinetown
- Washington High School, Washington
- Chocowinity High School, Chocowinity
Be aware that storm tides can rise quickly, flooding roads. Traffic will be heavy on U.S. 17 and U.S. 264, which are used to evacuate the coast.
Tell a friend or relative in an area away from the storm where you will be. Carry important papers with you.
Turn off electricity at the main power switch and valves to liquid propane tanks, oil tanks, and natural gas lines.
If in or near a flood-prone area, move vehicles to higher ground, raise furniture and possessions off the floor, and place sandbags where water could seep in your home or building.
Items to Bring to an Emergency Shelter
- battery-powered radio and batteries
- flashlight and batteries
- cash, traveler's checks and change
- personal hygiene items
- prescription drugs
- change of clothing
- sturdy shoes/boots
- rain gear
- denture supplies
- blankets and sleeping bags
- baby formula, bottles, diapers and medications
- contact lenses supplies, extra eyeglasses
- special dietary foods
- lightweight folding chairs